The Power of Positive thinking
Rating: 7/10Read More on Amazon
Dr. Peale demonstrates the power of faith in action. With the practical techniques outlined in this book, you can energize your life—and give yourself the initiative needed to carry out your ambitions and hopes. If you are constantly falling into dark thought patterns or need more confidence in yourself then I recommend you give this book a try. I would also like to mention that this book is heavily centered around Christianity and bible verses.
The Power of Positive Thinking Summary
1) Believe in Yourself
- If we constantly fix our attention upon sinister expectations of dire events that might happen, the result will be constantly to feel insecure. We then create the very things we fear.
- Combat this by placing triggers around your environment, even cheesy quotes or bible verses of strength can be a huge game changer as they will constantly prime your mind for positivity and confidence.
- [[Karl Menninger]] - "attitudes are more important than facts" #[[ 🖋 Quotes]]
- Simply affirm: "God is with me, God is helping me, God is guiding me." Affirm it, visualize it and believe it.
2) A Peaceful Mind Generates Power
- Daily practice of silence. At least 15 minutes a day.
- The mind quickly responds to teaching and discipline. You can make the mind give you back anything you want, but remember the mind can give back only what it was first given.
- Fill your mind with peaceful thoughts and places, and escape to these realities in times of distress.
3) How to have constant energy
- MLB pitcher who repeats Isaiah 40:31 over and over again.
- It is not hard work that drains off energy but emotional upheaval.
- Work in the slow deliberate rhytm of God like a pendulum on a grandfather's clock -> you have plenty of time.
- Get obsessed and convicted about something.
4) Try Prayer Power
- Prayerize, Picturize and Actualize.
5) How to create your own happiness
- Many times we are the manufacturers of our own happiness.
- You have two choices when you wake up be happy or be unhappy.
- "He that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast" (Proverbs 15:15)
6) Stop Fuming and Fretting
- To reduce tension, you need to reduce your own pace. Practice being peaceful. Practice "the peace of God"
- "Come unto me, all ye labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28)
- a beginning step, in achieving calmness is to discipline your physical reactions.
7) Expect the Best and Get it
- "I merely learned the magic of believing"
- Example of a Josh O'Reilly who told his players that their bats were magically blessed by a preacher. The next day they had 37 base hits and 20 runs.
- Similar to the experiment with the old men pretneding to be back in the 1980s and they all became healthier, and began looking younger.
- Read the new testament and study and memorize the verses that have to do with faith. (Mark: 9:23), (Matthew 17:20). (Matthew 9:29)
- People are defeated in life not because of the lack of ability, but for lack of wholeheartedness.
- Throw your heart over the bar and your body will follow.
- Define who you want to be and what you want to accomplish.
8) I Don't Believe in Defeat
- Don't become an obstacle man.
- Faith supplies staying power.
- "The rough is only mental"
9) How to Break the Worry Habit
- Church people live longer than non-church goers and married people live longer than those who are single.
- Practice emptying the mind before going to sleep.
- As you fill your mind with faith, there will be no room for fear.
10) Power to Solve Personal Problems
- "Do you know, I am beginning to realize that Christianity isn't theoretical after all."
- If you have the faith of a mustard seed, nothing shall be impossible unto you. (Matthew 17:20)
11) How to Use Faith in Healing
- "I believe in the combination of God and the doctor"
- If Jesus could and did heal people long ago, and what if He is the same as He was then, why couldn't He heal today?
12) When Vanity Sags try This Health Formula
- "Emotional disturbances are believed to affect the blood circulation in the linings of the nose and throat. They also affect glandular secretions. These factors make make the mucous membranes more susceptible to attack by cold viruses or germ infection."
- Train yourself so that every time you feel the surge of anger you say, "Is this really worth what it is doing me emotionally?"
- When a hurt feeling situation arises, get it straightened out at quickly as possible.
13) Inflow of New Thoughts Can Remake You
- "The greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind." - [[William James]]
- A man's life is what his thoughts make of it - [[Marcus Aurelius]]
- "A man's life is what he thinks about all day long" - [[Ralph Waldo Emerson]]
- "If you think lack you create the conditions that produce a state of lack."
- The process is to visualize successful achievement.
- When you elevate your thoughts into the area of visualized attainment you look down on your problems rather than from below up.
- Start at the beginning of the New Testament and underscore every sentence about faith. Then commit the underscored passages to memory. Commit one each day until you can recite the entire list from memory.
14) Relax For Easy Power
- Self-knowledge is the beginning of self-correction.
- Ty Cobb who had the highest batting average in the American League, was relaxed at every at bat.
- When one lives in tune with this constantly re0creative process he learns the indispensable quality to relax and work on the basis of easy does it.
- Determine to like your work.
- Plan your work-- work your plan
- Practice being relaxed.
15) How to Get People to Like You
- That most important trait is a sincere and forthright interest in and love for people.
- Inwardly he was trying to make everybody over to suit himself.
- When you pray for anyone you tend to modify your personal attitude toward him.
17) How to Draw upon That Higher Power
- Practice resting yourself in God. Practice depending upon Him for His support and power.
- A second method for drawing upon that Higher Power is to learn to take a positive, optimistic attitude toward every problem.